Monday, February 4, 2013

Melted Crayon Craft

Happy Monday morning to you all!
I hope everyone has recovered from their Superbowl celebrations.....what a long game.
I have to say I am less of a fan of American football today than I was yesterday.  I  took part in the pool at the party I was at and lost $25 in the last 3 seconds of the first half and $50 in the last 4 seconds of the second half!  What a rip off!

Anyway.....on with today's project.
What can you do with all your old crayons?


Here's what we did.....we turned them into these....multi-coloured heart shaped crayons!
A perfect alternative to candy as a Valentine gift.


And here's how we did it.


First of all remove all the paper from the crayons.....yes this is a very tedious task.  I thought they would peel off pretty easily.....and they did once I figured out that I had to score the paper from top to bottom with the tip of a sharp knife.  So I set to work doing that and my little friend unpeeled them all.

While she was at school I chopped up all the crayons with a knife.....broke them into thirds and divided them into separate colours (you don't need to do this). 
If nothing else they make for a pretty post!














Then we put our chopped up crayons into heart shaped cupcake moulds.  We used silicone moulds ....they popped out easily but I also have read that a metal tray once placed in the freezer has easy removal too.





We filled them a little above the half way mark as there are so many nooks and crannies for the melted crayons to fill and we didn't want our final crayon too thin.

We put them in a 275 degrees F oven for 15 mins.




And after a few minutes they started to melt.





We let them cool in place for a few hours.





Then popped them out and they looked like this.





Pretty cool huh?  We are going to bag them, tie them with ribbon and add a homemade gift card for her friends at school.  Maybe I'll even include instructions on how to make your own!

Give it a try....it's really a fun project.


No comments:

Post a Comment