Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"Hands up if you know what to do in a Tornado"

I know what you are thinking.......bizarre title for a blog to do with children.  Maybe it is, maybe I'm feeling a little desperate today but after 2 recent 'possible' Tornado incidents I was wondering what do I do if I am faced with a tornado and how do I protect the child that is in my care (a topic that was not covered in my Norland training).

My first encounter was a couple of weeks ago, New Jersey had a Tornado warning.....which I completely blew off .....until I came out of Trader Joe's in Florham Park at 7.15pm and saw this.

http://mail.aol.com/36786-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=29679360&folder=NewMail&partId=1
Angry skies in a tornado warning.  Florham Park, New Jersey

It was a complete circle of dark angry cloud (you can only see the edge of it here) surrounded by normal blue skies.  I had never seen anything like it in my life.  To the left it was sunny to the right it looked like midnight.

Then, this afternoon I received this picture from my friend who has family near mine in Yorkshire. 

http://mail.aol.com/36786-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=29679320&folder=OldMail&partId=1
Funnel Cloud. Outskirts of Leeds, North Yorkshire, England

 This pic was taken just outside of Leeds and wasn't quite a full blown tornado....a mere wind tunnel but caused plenty of damage none the less.  A wind tunnel becomes a tornado when it touches the earth.

Now I know we have all seen 'The Wizard of Oz' and how Dorothy and gang geronimo into the basement of the house through the bilco doors but what do you do if you are in a building without a basement?  Where are the safest places to be and where do you avoid in a tornado?

Without further ado here are some interesting facts about tornado's and some advice that may help you prepare.

- Tornado's are most likely to occur between 3pm and 9pm
- Most people are killed or injured from flying debris.
- Have a predesignated place of safety for you and your family to go to in a tornado.
- Watch out for tornado warnings.
- Do not try to out run a tornado in a car.  You are most at risk of danger in a car.
- If you are caught outside with no building in sight find a low piece of ground such as a
  ditch and lie flat in it.
- Mobile homes are not a safe place to be. You need to try and get out.
- If a tornado is approaching try and put yourself in the lowest part of a building, the basement
   is best.  If there is no basement move to an interior room or hallway and get under a sturdy
   piece of furniture, such as a table.
- Stay away from windows.
- Some suggest to get into a downstairs bath tub if you have one and cover yourself with couch
   cushions.  

Families should have a 'disaster supplies kit' in their predesignated areas and according to the Red Cross should include the following:-

- a supply of water, non perishable foods and a hand operated can opener
- a flashlight with extra batteries
- a battery operated radio with extra batteries
- a first aid kit with all the essentials
- sturdy shoes and gloves
- written instructions on how to turn off your home's utilities

So I feel I have learned a little more today and I may be a tad more prepared if faced with a future tornado.  If there is anyone out there reading this who has survived a tornado and has some tips that I have not included I would love to hear from you.

Be safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment