Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"I'm leaving on a jet plane"

How do you successfully travel in the skies with children?

At one point or another you and your dear little ones will most likely be taking a ride on an airplane (or as we like to say in England aeroplane).  So I consulted my fellow nanny friends to ask them for their top tips to keep children of all ages occupied.  I hope some of these will help you on future travels.


How to keep young children occupied in the airport

- Play eye spy.
- Talk a long walk around the airport.  It's a great idea to get some exercise, even try and tire
   them out a little before you have to sit on a plane for a while.
- Look at the book store.
- Find a place to watch the airplanes take off and land.
- Try and distinguish between all the different planes.  Explain how there are planes for people
   and planes for mail.
- There are some really great books to keep little ones occupied.....a small price to pay for
   some peace and quiet if you ask me.

All these books can be bought at http://www.amazon.com


Usborne Flip Flap Airport (Usborne Flip Flaps)
By Usborne
Going on a Plane Sticker Book [With Sticker(s)] (Usborne First Experiences)
By Usborne




My Plane Trip (Dover Coloring Books)
By Dover
Little Airport Sticker Activity Book (Dover Little Activity Books)
By Dover
Amazing Airplanes (Amazing Machines)

















How to keep young children occupied on the plane

I always make sure I pack a great bag for the plane ride with a host of items to keep them occupied.  If I had my way I wouldn't give them their bag until they were on the plane because there is so much to do in the airport (as long as you don't get delayed) but I don't always get to make those sort of decisions.

So here's what I like to pack.

- ALWAYS make sure they have their favourite soft toy or blankie and keep an eye on it at all
   times. I remember losing my 'monkey' when I was young (luckily we found him) and the
   heartbreak that goes with it....you can never  replace a special friend like that even if you
   have a replica it never has the same wear and tear of the original.
- A few snacks....somehow food always make them content for a while.
- Music and books on tape are wonderful to listen to, our library has a great selection to borrow
   for 2 weeks.
- Crayons, a new colouring book and a pad of plain paper.
- A few new cheap toys are always a hit.  I usually walk around the big stores like Target or
  Walmart and see what I can pick up for a few bucks.
- Paperback story books are always good to have as is a new children's magazine.
- Easy games to play with no small pieces that may roll away.
- Something that has kept us occupied are sticker books....you know the kind with the stickers
   in the middle and you have to place them in certain spots throughout the book.  $6 well
   spent!
- Everyone's favourite seems to be the personal DVD player or laptop/i-pad with movies and
   games downloaded.  This was the number 1 choice when asked by parents and some
   nannies.  I would suggest that ear phones accompany such devices....I have been on planes
   where people just don't care if anyone else is disturbed as long as their child is happy.

Those are just a few ideas for plane travel.  I didn't want to make the list too long or too specific.

Do you have any great ideas to keep children occupied on the plane or airport......I am sure it would be extremely beneficial for us all to share our tricks.

Happy traveling.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Amazing Airplanes book (although it still bugs me that we no longer say "aeroplanes"!!!).....
    We have the whole series and I read them to the 3 year-old I look after over and over again.
    They are very detailed and give all the information in a mostly rhyming format.
    Great series!

    ReplyDelete