Thursday, August 16, 2012

Easy sewing projects for children: a pencil case


So yesterday our predicted weather was heavy rain, thunder and lightening so like a good nanny does, I planned an afternoon activity that should keep me and my 6 year old occupied for a decent chunk of time.
She loves to sew, so I scanned the internet to see if I could find some inspiration.  Good old Martha Stewart to the rescue....I found this quick and easy pencil case to sew.

http://www.marthastewart.com/268902/felt-pencil-case


mka101536_wi08_pencase.jpg


It didn't look too tricky or time consuming so I thought we would give it a whirl.  Here's our version.

First we cut a rectangle out of felt and measured by folding up the bottom around a pencil


We decided we wanted a heart design on it so we made a template


We traced around the heart template and cut out 2 felt hearts 1 for her pencil case and 1 for mine


Next we pinned and hand stitched the heart on to the end of the flap


The seamstress in action.  Check out the blue nails she's such a fashionista


We then folded the case together and I ran a tacking stitch to hold it in place while she did a running stitch with embroidery thread from the bottom to the top.


I sewed on a small button near the top of the pouch and cut a hole in the flap (through the heart) for it to pass through


VOILA!  The finished product by a very proud 6 year old

I'd love to hear of any easy sewing projects that you think are good to do with a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment