Friday, January 10, 2014

Do you use a mesh sponge to wash your children?

Use one of these to wash your children?  
Do you know how often you should replace it?




When I was young we always used a facecloth/washcloth in the bath to wash ourselves!  Nowadays I think most people and children I know use these mesh nylon sponges!

I know Ms. I. (the 7 year old I nanny for) has 2 in her shower and I was curious to see how often you should replace them as I think it's been a while since I bought her new ones!

After a good google search the general consensus is every 2 months!  I was WAY overdue with my own so quickly bought new ones and will do so for Ms. I  
I think it's a good idea to do it at the start of the year as it's easier to remember when you need to replace it.

Because these sponges are wet on (usually) a daily basis they harbor bacteria and mold!  Imagine scrubbing that all over your children!  In some cases it can lead to rashes and infections.

Some people claim they wash them in the washing machine with bleach to kill some of the bacteria, others say they pour peroxide on them after they wash, but shaking them vigorously and hanging them in a well ventilated place to dry after using them is usually enough until it's time to replace them.

I usually buy the smaller travel ones for children, it's easier for them to handle and they end up being cheaper too.

What are you waiting for?  Isn't it time you went shopping?  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment