Friday, September 7, 2012

Book review: A Spoonful of Sugar by Brenda Ashford

I finally finished a book!  It was that day at the beach that helped.....after I got battered on the boogie board and nearly lost half my bathing suit it was time to sit and relax.



I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Now I'm not just saying that because I am a fellow Norlander and it brought back so many memories of my own training that occasionally choked me up at times!  I think this is a fantastic, EASY, read for anyone.  It is so insightful into war time England and really made me feel that I was right there beside Brenda.  It's been a long time since I got lost in a book.

Brenda describes her family life and how she always wanted to work with children and the fact that she was not the best scholar.  She talks about her boarding school experience all the way through to the uncomfortable situation she was in when she had to take the Norland final exam.

Her hospital training was quite a bit different to mine.....I wish I had had the experience to work at Great Ormond Street Hospital.....although not under the circumstances she was in.

Though she describes the war and the horrific circumstance, she talks about always putting her feelings aside and concentrating on the children, they were always her first priority, such a dedicated nurse.  Brenda gives the impression that her job at hand was far more important than any silly war and was very humerous throughout the whole book.  My favourite quote is this...

                  " When you've trained under the doyenne of Britain's oldest nanny 
                    school and the draconian matrons of the 1930's hospital wards, Hitler 
                    and his army hold no fear.  Every fibre of my being was focused on 
                    the welfare of the children in my care.  Nothing was more important 
                    than being the most loving and professional nanny that I could possibly be".


Brenda talks about her job placements after training, her romance on her days off and the amazingly interesting people that she encountered through all of this.  When I reached the end I was disappointed, another chapter was about to begin in Brenda's life and I was keen to read on.  Is there going to be another book?  I hope so.

Funny timing but yesterday I received my copy of 'Norland Now' (a small publication that is sent to Norlanders).  The literary agent, Kate Thompson that worked with Brenda is looking for other Norlanders to talk to with a view to having their stories published!  I hope someone steps up.....I definitely don't have enough time or amazing stories under my (20 years of experience) belt but it would be very interesting to read about others!  Or maybe a good idea would be a collection of short stories from different nurses in different eras???

'LOVE NEVER FAILETH'


You can find a copy at Amazon.com 

It's a great read for anyone......and especially interesting if you are a Norland Nanny!

3 comments:

  1. I am a Norland nanny and I've also read this book... and couldn't put it down!
    I agree that you don't have to be a nanny to read it.. it's very interesting and Brenda writes in wonderful detail about wartime England and looking after her charges in this very challenging time.
    I earmarked so many pages as there were so many thoughts and quotes that as relevant today as they were then. Of course I can't remember any off-hand!
    The Norland motto is surely one of the most inportant out there.... AND SO TRUE!!
    I have been a nanny for over 20 years and can't stress enough how strongly I feel about htose words. Love in a child's life is HUGELY important... you just cannot kiss or hug your children enough.

    This is one of those rare books that I'll be reading again and again... every parent should read it and then we might realize how precious all our children are and how important love is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book :)

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/03/book-spoonful-of-sugar-2013-brenda.html

    ReplyDelete