Friday, September 21, 2012

Easy sewing projects for children: a reversible toy tote


Although I didn't have my 6 year old help me sew this tote (limited time now with school) it's really very easy for any child (or adult) that can sew a straight line.


What you will need                                   

2 pieces of  coordinating fabric measuring 18" x 21"
24" of 1" wide twill trim 
a ruler
scissors
a pencil or fabric marker
pins
sewing machine
etc etc etc

OK here goes




Start off by cutting 2 pieces of fabric 9" x 10 1/2".  Then cut 2 more pieces  9" x 10 1/2" in a coordinating fabric.  Altogether you will have 4 rectangles of fabric.


Here are my 2 choices for this project.  I wanted to choose 2 appealing fabrics as the bag is reversible.


Pin right sides together along the 2 longer sides and what will be the bottom (make sure your fabric pattern is facing up on both sides)


Stitch all 3 sides, don't forget to back stitch at the beginning and end.  I used the edge of the foot as my seam allowance.


Clip corners at the bottom of the bag


I like to iron my seam allowance open.  I have a teeny, skinny ironing board for narrow projects.


I trimmed the seam allowance on what I chose to be the lining fabric


Turn right side out and gently persuade the corners out from the inside using a knitting needle 


Press under a 1/2" hem of fabric from the top of both bags


They both should look the same


Insert the lining into the outer bag.  The lining should not be turned right side out.
Line up seams and edges and pin together


Cut the twill in half lengthwise so you have 2 pieces that are 12" long.  You can do shorter or longer depending on your handle length preference.  Make a mark with a washable fabric marker (or you could use a pencil lightly)  3/4" from the end on all pieces.



Insert the twill handle between the 2 fabrics at the top of the bag.  The pencil mark on the twill should be in line with the top of the bag.


  I put my handles 1 1/2" from the edge.  Do the same for the other end of the handle and again the same on the other side.  Both handles should be equal in length and position.


It should look like this


Stitch the bags together and the straps in place by stitching a running stitch all the way around the top of the bags.  I used a a blind stitch foot that has a special edge guide.  I then ran another line of stitching about 1/2" underneath the first line of stitching.  For extra strength you can back stitch where the handles join


Feel free to spray your tote with Scotch Gard for some protection (I like to keep mine as is)


Voila!  A perfect tote to throw a couple of books or toys in.
It also works great for snacks and a couple of water bottles


Have a go and make one.....if you do send me a pic, I'd love to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment