Monday, September 24, 2012

Snacktime and healthy snack options

We all snack.
Snacking is a great way of keeping up our energy throughout the day.
Studies show that eating small meals many times a day is more beneficial for our bodies than eating 3 large meals.

But in my opinion children are a little different.  Yes of course I give children snacks but I am very, very careful that they do not eat too much at snack time.  Sometimes for a child it's just the thought of eating that is what they need, anyone who has just eaten a large meal 2 hours earlier is not actually hungry!  We all know that food can be a great source of comfort to people (myself included) and children are no exception to the rule.

I want my charges to be hungry for their meals.....not starving but definitely coming to the table excited to eat.  In order to accomplish this I limit how much they snack on and when they snack.  I never give huge snacks, just a small handful of something healthy.  Giving a glass of milk with the small snack will also help to 'pad' out the snack.

I believe a huge problem with fussy eaters today (not all of them) is that they snack too much.
Old school saying..... "if a child is hungry, they will eat"  I'm not saying starve them.....just be smart.
Look at the portion you would have for a snack and half it for a child.  Half those 100 calories per bag snacks....unless you have an older child involved in afterschool sports activities that burn through their food and require extra calories and carbs to partake in their sport.

It basically boils down to common sense and experience.  I can't sit here and measure out pretzels for each age group.....you have to be smart, understand your child and their activities.

Here are some healthy snack ideas.

Healthy snack options for children

-  fruit
-  raw vegetables with a something to dip them in hummus, guacamole, 
   (most children like Ranch dressing, try and find a healthy one)
-  pretzels
-  yoghurt
-  a roll up of a slice of turkey and a slice of low fat cheese
-  crackers and low fat cheese
-  granola
-  cereal bar
-  bean salad
-  edamame
-  rice cakes
-  mini home made healthy muffins 
-  smoothie
-  trail mix

So if you feel your child isn't eating as much at dinner time as you think they should....take a look at how much they eat at snack time.

And with that said.....I'm off to get myself a snack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment