Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What do I miss about England?

Ever since I can remember I wanted to live in America.  I visited here with my family 3 times growing up and it was always my number 1 place to go back to.  I can't really explain it.....all I know is that it just appealed to me.  There was always so much going on, always something to do and places stayed open past 11pm at night....AMAZING!

So what do I miss about England?  I get asked this question a lot.

Even though I don't really miss England in general (I've been here 18 years) there are definitely things that I do miss from it.

-  The number 1 thing I miss is of course my family.  I miss not being able to have Sunday
    dinner with them or just to pop around to say hello, that regular weekly contact.  I do
    talk to them on the phone a fair amount but it's not the same.

-  I miss the dry, sarcastic sense of humour.

-  I miss the 'down to earth' attitude of the British people.

-  I miss 'Salad Cream' (anyone who visits from across the pond knows to bring me a stash)

-  I miss British TV (although I do get BBC America whenever I tune in it's always 
   Dr. Who or Top Gear.....I do love Top Gear though)

-  I miss a proper pub.  There are plenty of imitations here but it's never the same.

-  I miss the occasional fish and chips.....again....a lot of imitations but never the same.

-  I used to miss the chocolate.....it's just not the same in the U.S.
   (but over the past few years my sweet tooth has vanished)

-  I miss the history of places.  It still surprises me that everything is so new here!
   I think it has given me a greater appreciation of History.

-  AND....I miss free health care!!!!!!!

One thing I don't miss is the weather!  I've never know another country where you can experience all 4 seasons in 1 day quite like England.

Any other Brits missing their homeland?

No comments:

Post a Comment