Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It's offical, I'm the proud mother of a LLC

So last week was a pretty exciting week for me.  I formed a LLC. 
Textile Trolley is now officially a small business in the state of New Jersey. 

I will be making and selling babies and children's accessories, some are what you may have seen on this blog or the link to my Flickr account (in the column to the right).  I have a friend who works in a gift shop who will be taking my items to sell.  I also plan on opening the Etsy shop by the end of the year and I have plenty of  ideas after that, but for now the gift shop and Etsy will help me get started.

I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to do at first.  I always knew I wanted my own business on some level, my father was a huge influence in that and come to think of it my Grandfather and his father (they all had their own shops)!!!  A few years ago I started a custom made invitation business and it did pretty well but I was still working full time and I didn't have enough courage to take the leap from being a full time nanny, with a nice salary and health insurance.  So I dropped the invitations (I couldn't do both I was getting burned out) figuring the timing wasn't right.

Textile Trolley kind of just fell into place.....I knew I wanted something, I love sewing, I could throw in all my knowledge of children and lets see what happens.  I had been made part time due to there only being one child and she was now attending full time school, so I had the mornings free to work on the business and I still had the steady income from the nannying in the afternoon.  It seemed like the best of both worlds and the perfect timing.

The sewing and craft side of the business was always what appealed to me mostly, the mechanics behind it, the accounting, the taxation, the business entity etc etc is what made me nervous and probably why it took me so long to file.  I did a lot of background reading which I have to say was informative at times and then just plain confusing, so I decided to hire an accountant to take care of it all.  I could have done the filing myself online but it was very reassuring  for me to have someone to talk things through with, and who knew how to fill out the forms and which forms to fill out in order to complete everything!  I have to tell you, it was well worth the money for the peace of mind.  (If you are in the process of looking for an accountant, I recommend calling around, one company I found was three times the amount of the one I went with).

Anyhoooo, I'm very excited and a little nervous to be where I am right now, but couldn't think of a better place to be, it's a new adventure!
If anyone is in a similar situation or has any questions feel free to reach out and I'll do my best to answer!

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment