Monday, May 13, 2013

Crafters A.D.D.

I think I have Crafter's A.D.D.   Is it a real condition?

I seem to be able to focus well in plenty of other areas in my life but when it comes to playing around with fabric, paper, glitter and glue I can't seem to keep my attention focused on one thing for too long.

I start one project and half way through get an idea for another and then another and another and it spirals until there's barely room to move in my studio (I should insert a picture here but I'm far too embarrassed)....I'm tripping over boxes of ribbon because i have to find the perfect match and swiping my tables and shoving things to one side to make room to focus on the most dominant project for that 10 minutes of attention.

I'm not always like this!  If my studio is tidy and I am focused for example making blankets that morning, it runs very smoothly.  I think it's when I'm in design mode....trying to piece coordinating fabrics together, to get the pattern for a new item just so, to decorate the card with just the right trimmings, a little of this a little of that and before you know it I can't find the table.

My space is designed pretty well I think, I painted it my favourite colour, a bold Kelly green and made sure I had lots of white accessories to brighten it up.  It's a small room but I managed to squeeze 3 tables in, 1 for sewing, 1 for the computer and 1 for designing, cutting, crafting etc.  I have those IKEA cubbies that everyone seems to have but they are very useful (I have the 16 cubby version) and the closet is a pretty good size - I pulled out the clothes rod and my carpenter friend John put in 4 huge, strong shelves and everything is in plastic totes and labelled.  If you catch me on a good, tidy day you would think I'm as organized as Martha Stewart (which is my nickname amongst my friends).

Unfortunately it's a mess right now!  I had a designing day yesterday.....had the house to myself and nothing essential to do so I thought I would get a couple of projects knocked off that's been on my mind (and several 'To- Do' lists for a while now).  I have created a new style of bib, a bib for droolers so it's shorter....and it's so pretty....it's definitely leaning towards 'I need to be a girl bib'.  I'll share it soon but first it has to go to my test baby so it can be 'mother approved'...heads up Katie!!  Hopefully it will be in the shop in the next few weeks, I'm very excited about this so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to redesign it.

I also worked on 'Hoop Art' which I convey as a stitched picture in an embroidery hoop.  Here's my first attempt ( I need to trim the fabric and finish off the back but this is just to give you an idea).

Hoop Art....soon to hit the shop!


The creative mind is just so amazing.  I mean I do love it.....but I feel like I don't relax or sleep as much as I should....I envy my boyfriend....he can take a nap sitting upright on the couch at any given moment....even half way through a conversation if he's really tired.  But I've always leaned towards the 'being productive' mode rather than the 'relaxing' mode!  I guess it's genetics!  Any other crafters feel the same way?  I know I can't be alone   :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment