Friday, August 2, 2013

Organic items that are not really organic

I have to get something off my chest!  Maybe someone has the answer for me here because I just can't seem to figure it out!

I'm talking about organic clothing/bedding/baby items.  I offer both regular cotton items in the shop and 100% organic items also.  I don't understand companies that offer a product let's say a baby blanket with 2 layers where the top layer is organic fabric and the bottom layer is a cotton/polyester blend!  Can someone explain what the point is?  Shouldn't it be organic or not?  If you want organic products for your baby and the company is advertising an item as organic shouldn't ALL of it BE organic?  I don't think you should be able to label something organic if it's not100% organic.

I come across a lot of this on Etsy (you really have to read the small print) and I presume that people offering items that are made half of organic fabric and advertising it as organic are purely doing it to save some money.  We all know that organic items whether they are vegetables, eggs or fabric are more expensive.  And I'm presuming people that are buying these items really don't give a darn about whether they have an organic item or not.

I was looking through the latest Pottery Barn Kids catalog and they are even selling a collection, the Safari Collection that have bibs and burp cloths that when you look online have the word 'organic' underneath the picture.  When you click on the link to open up the details the top description declares they are 'pure organic' but read on further and it turns out that the top layer is organic and the backing is a cotton/poly terry knit (as we all know polyester is a man made fiber therefore not organic).  Their swaddle blankets however in the same collection are 100% organic as they only use 1 layer.

Now I'm not trying to slam Pottery Barn Kids, I love Pottery Barn Kids, I think they have great design and their quality of their goods are high but is it really that hard to produce an organic bib that is really organic front and back?  I'm sure if I can offer it at an affordable price then they surely can too.

Thanks for letting me rant....this blog thing isn't bad for getting things off your chest....I do feel a little better!
Have a GREAT weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment