Friday, June 22, 2012

First topic of discussion.....SEX!


What better topic to start a post with!

Well, before I mislead you too much......what I really mean is ...
"HOW DO YOU TALK TO YOUR CHILD ABOUT SEX"?

This topic came up yesterday with the 6 year old I take care of.  Now, as a nanny I have always been prepared for the "WHERE DO BABIES COME FROM"? question and based on the age of the child I have various answers and none of them are very informative at all.

I don't believe it is my position to educate a child on sex, especially when the parents are in the next room and after all isn't that why we have parents?  They created us, therefore who better to answer that age old question.


 See.....Princess and Spot agree!

Now the question from my 6 yr old to me was a tad different from the norm.  Something I have NEVER been asked before.

"HOW DO YOU STOP YOURSELF FROM HAVING BABIES"? 

I have to tell you I was quite taken aback.  We were talking about Mummies and Daddies and she was saying how she wished she had 2 Mummies and 2 Daddies.....meaning her own parents as one set and myself and my boyfriend as the other set of parents (awww how sweet).

I tried to explain to her that "2 sets of parents wouldn't be such a good thing really as we would all have very different ideas about how to raise you and there might be some disagreeing and honestly with 1 child we would all be fighting for your attention" (and smiled sweetly).

She went on to say "But you don't have any children of your own"
to which I replied "that's very true but I have spent many, many years raising children and I have felt like they were my own at the time so I'm not sad at all".

That's when she launched the bomb of a question on me....and for a moment I really didn't know what to say....I was a deer in headlights.

I'm still trying to recall what I actually told her.....I thought for a second I could fluff the truth and tell her "the doctors weren't sure I could have a baby" or "there's this special pill you take and it makes you not have babies" but I couldn't bring myself to explain either one of those because I just knew that would generate  more questions....so in the end I think I rambled out "I'm not really sure you better ask your parents, come on, let's go down for dinner" the old distract and deflect technique....works every time if you do it right.

This leads me to the question "How have you talked to your child about sex"?  And at what age? 

No comments:

Post a Comment