Thursday, June 28, 2012

Life at Norland College Part 4

So you might ask what did we do when we weren't with children, studying or sewing.  My first answer is 'sleeping'.  It was a very demanding course and there honestly wasn't a lot of free time (maybe it was all the extra work I put on myself). Many of my fellow students lived not too far away from the college and many of them were lucky enough to have cars so they used to go home at the weekends.  My home was almost a 4 hour drive and I had no car so I spent most weekends at college with the other Northerners and a couple of Scots (working on our sewing).


In my second term I begged my grandmother to let me borrow my Grandfathers car, an automatic Renault 5. My Grandfather had passed away a couple of years prior to me starting college and the car had been sitting waiting for someone to drive it, she finally agreed and I discovered a new found freedom!



The towns of Newbury and Marlborough were not too far away so we would often visit these towns on a weekend.  Newbury was also the closest place for those much needed, never ending 'sewing supplies'.

File:Marlborough, Wilts - geograph.org.uk - 44036.jpg
Market day in Marlborough

File:Northbrook Street, Newbury.jpg
Newbury, Berkshire














Sometimes we would take excursions to Oxford, Salisbury, and a couple of trips to Bath (where the college is currently located). I had never really spent much time in the south of England (outside of London) before so it was a lot of fun to visit these historic towns. 


An aerial view of Oxford City Centre
File:High Street from above looking east.JPG
Oxford High Street



Salisbury Market

Salisbury Cathedral.jpg 
Salisbury Cathedral





















File:Royal.crescent.aerial.bath.arp.jpg
The Royal Crescent, Bath, Wiltshire


Wide image of a symmetrical semicircular terrace of yellow stone buildings. Grass in the foreground.
A panoramic view of the Royal Crescent



Photograph of the Baths showing a rectangular area of greenish water surrounded by yellow stone buildings with pillars. In the background is the tower of the abbey.
The Great Bath at the Roman Baths, in Bath

Yellow/Gray stone bridge with three arches over water which reflects the bridge and the church spire behind. A weir is on the left with other yellow stone buildings behind.
18th century Pulteney Bridge
                                     


Within an hour or so driving distance we could hit 1 of  3 army barracks.  The young officers would throw some of the best parties around and would always extend an invite to us Norland girls.  So, many a Friday night we would all pack into our cars and spend an evening at the Officers Mess at one of these locations.

This was my first experience being on an Army base and what an eye opener it was!  Signing in and out, making sure we had special car passes, someone always had to know someone and your name had to be at the gate, you also had to make sure you had your I.D. or else you had driven all that way for nothing because you weren't getting in!  Very entertaining times.....and that's all I will say about THAT!

On occasion there were also invites sent out to us from Officers or Captains (I can't remember their ranking) to attend a special banquet dinner. They would need 12 or so (always a specific number) female dinning guests.  I did attend a couple of these nerve racking events.  A very formal dinner set at a long dinning table, the likes of what King Arthur may have had, where the men were dressed in uniform (as well as the wait staff) and the girls had to put on 'yer best frock'.  I couldn't count the amount of courses that we had at one of these events I went to, but by the time the port was passed it was a little more of a relaxed atmosphere!

Our summer break was only 2 weeks long.  While all my other friends from home were enjoying a lovely 3 months off University and Polytechnic I was trying to cram in a quick holiday to Greece with my Norland friends and then trying to get around visiting all the family and friends at home before I dashed back down to college.  I do remember feeling a bit ripped off but as my father reminded me "You won't be getting weeks and weeks off work when you start a real job" .....straight back to reality!!!  Thanks Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment