Friday, July 19, 2013

Parenting Techniques

I'd like to say that I stay on top of all the crazy 'parenting techniques' out there.....but I don't! 
There are way too many 'unusual' methods to raising children for my liking.

We appear to be in a world today that over worries about how to raise a child, it seems as a race we have become obsessed and neurotic about how children are raised when really we just need to cut it back to the basics. 

I understand that times are different today than when most of us (now parents/caregivers) were children, I know I didn't have to worry about drugs and gangs too much in the Yorkshire Dales (I was more worried about whether I was allowed to go to the Youth or the Rugby Club Disco at the end of the month).  But I don't see why the basic values of raising and interacting with children has to change.

I guess we have to ask ourselves what our goals are for who we would like our children to become.  When you cut it down to the basics I would imagine most people would have a list that would look something like this.

I would like my child to be....

Happy
Healthy
Honest
Well mannered
Confident
Grounded with common sense
Feel loved
Financially secure


So as a parent how do you raise your child to eventually possess those qualities? 
Well I think another list would be helpful.
 
As a parent/caregiver I need to....

Be honest
Be affectionate
Be aware of dangers
Be a parent not a friend
Be consistent
Be a good role model
Be a good listener
Be fun
Be firm


Now I'm just shooting off the top of my head here, rattling off because I can.  I haven't done research, I'm not writing a book about it so please don't fault me if I missed something major  :o)

And if you don't agree with my writings then maybe you could check out this article I read earlier on CTFD
The Latest Parenting Trend
Even if you do agree, the link is worth a click.

No comments:

Post a Comment