Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Road safety when walking with children

O.K. I have to get something off my chest!    

When I am driving home from the school pick up with my charge buckled safely in the car I pass another school that gets out at the same time.  It is in Short Hills, N.J. in a very residential area and many people may live within walking distance of the school.  There are a great pair of traffic wardens to cross the busy road which I often have to stop for.  Shortly after I am on my way again and
I sometimes pass a nanny walking her 2 children home from school. 

This nanny has to be one of the most careless nannies I have come across.  She walks down the side of a very busy road where there is the narrowest strip of dirt, 2 people could probably walk side by side and no more.  Now the reason this nanny drives me nuts is that she is always in front of her 2 children, often on the phone, while they walk behind her where she can't keep a watchful eye on them. The children I would guess would probably be around 5 and 7 years old.  Not once have I seen her holding the children's hands or watching them.  She walks in the same direction as the traffic with her back to the on coming traffic.
Not only is this nanny not doing her job and watching and protecting her charges she is not teaching them proper road safety either.

So I thought I would write a few pointers that we should all remember when walking by a busy street

- always face on coming traffic so that you may step out of the way if a car
   doesn't see you and is too close

- always hold hands with younger children keeping the child on the inside,
   the furthest away from the traffic

- if you need to walk in single file always keep your child in front so you can
   keep a watchful eye on them

- pay special attention to driveways, teach your child to stop at each driveway
   to check for traffic coming out that may not see them

- if your child has to walk to and from school, bright coloured clothes and maybe
   a reflective patch are great ideas so that they stand out clearly to traffic

- always talk to your child about road safety and potential dangers
   STOP, LOOK AND LISTEN still works these days just as it did when we were growing up
   and try and hold a hand when possible

Did I miss anything?
Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment