Friday, March 15, 2013

Easy Sewing Project: How to make a Yo-Yo broach or pin.

O.K. so I just realized (after being in the country almost 19 years) that what I call a broach.....the Americans call a pin.  I mean I've heard the word pin being used before but to me a pin is something I use to sew with.

I was showing a friend the "broaches" I had made for the craft fair and he looked at me with a completely puzzled look and said "don't you mean a pin?  Actually no...I don't mean pin.....I mean broach or badge!  :o)

*pet peeve of mine....when someone tells me what I mean to say or how I should pronounce it....I mean really..... I'm an ENGLISH girl speaking the ENGLISH language!!!*  :o)

Anyway after that long winded intro. here's how I made these beautiful
Yo-Yo BROACHES!!!!!  ha ha ha



What you'll need

Extra firm Pellon (interfacing)
Scrap fabric
a few buttons
Broach/pin backs
Strong thread *important it's strong*
Scissors


First decide what size your broach will be.  You will need 2 different size circles.  I chose my supplement jar lid as the smaller template.  Draw around and cut out as many broaches as you would like to make.



Cut out the circles as accurately as possible


Cut a larger circle of fabric out.  When the fabric is folded in all around the sides it should reach the middle


A rough guide of what it should look like before you sew with the 2 different sizes


Note the HEAVY duty thread.  This is so when you stitch and gather up the fabric the thread won't snap when you gather.


Knot the end of your thread and then use a very small running stitch around the edge of the circle....I do as small as I can so that my gathers are small when I pull it all together


When you reach the knot pull the thread to gather it around the circle.  I put a couple of stitches through the gather at the end to keep it in place.


Build your Yo-Yo by placing the smaller one on top of the larger one and a button on top.  Make sure your button is large enough to cover the gathering edge underneath it.  Stitch together through all layers


Stitch the broach/pin backing on the back


And there you go....a cute embellishment to any outfit.  Pin 3 together on a T-shirt for a dramatic effect




Next week I'll show you some other ideas with these Yo-Yo's.

Yo...have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment