Friday, March 22, 2013

What to do with scrap fabric!

At what point do you throw away your fabric?  I've heard some people keep nothing smaller than enough to cover a button, and some nothing smaller than a fat quarter WHAT????  I know...insane!

Now I know I'm a Yorkshire lass.....well known for being.....shall I say 'savvy' with money!!!!  I tend to hold on to every scrap....even an inch by inch square....there has to be a use!!!

Well this week I came across a great idea for scrap fabric.  I knew I'd find a way to use those teeny tiny scraps.

BUNTING TAGS!



The scraps of fabric I used for this project are even smaller than the ones I use for my bunting card on sale in my Etsy shop because the fabric on the card is bent in half to encase the twine.

Bunting Happy Birthday Card
https://www.etsy.com/listing/120576568/bunting-happy-birthday-card?


Soooooo easy to make!!!!


Here's what you will need                       

Gift tags (mine were 2" x 4")
Scraps of fabric
Baker's twine, string or ribbon
Scissors
A little glue
Sewing machine







I usually cut strips of fabric first to make sure the bunting are all the same height.  Then snip small triangles.  I do realize that flowery fabric when cut does not produce chevron triangles but this is a case of "here's one I made earlier"



Arrange your bunting so it fits on your tag and then glue it down, this will help when stitching it later.  I used this Martha Stewart glue because it has the tiniest tip at the end so I didn't have puddles of glue leaking out the side of my flags




Simply stitch through the tag and fabric....no back stitch needed, add your twine, ribbon etc and you're done



And here's some I made earlier

I'm sure if you don't have a sewing machine one could accomplish a similar effect with hand stitching.  I'd make sure I somehow secured both ends though as hand stitching isn't quite as small or as strong as the machine stitching.

Happy crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment