Monday, March 25, 2013

Happy Passover (is that what you say?)

Happy Passover.....I'm having my home made Matzoh Ball Soup in a nod to the day (actually I just love Matzoh Ball Soup).

Gotta have fresh dill in the soup....I add chicken too for protein.  Recipe will follow in a later post


Well it's one holiday after the next around here isn't it?  Growing up in the Yorkshire Dales I didn't hear anything about Passover.  I can't say that I knew any Jewish families...and Judaism never came up in conversation.  I'm not sure what it's like over there now (should ask the family I suppose) but here in New Jersey it's a melting pot of every religion.

The little girl I take care of is Jewish but the school she attends educates her with every religion.  I think it's great to make children aware of all the different religions and holidays and how people celebrate.

We were talking about Passover and Easter last week and I told her I needed to make some Easter cards and we talked about different ideas for the cards (she's very artistic and creative).  Near the end of the conversation she turned to me and said
"I want to send Easter cards"
 ....bless her.....I told her that it probably wouldn't be appropriate to send them with her being Jewish 'an all but we could definitely do some Easter art and maybe dye some eggs too....that seemed to make her happy!  Crisis averted!

Her closing statement of the conversation was "Why are Christmas and Easter so much more fun than Hanukkah and Passover"?   The thought had often crossed my own mind.  I think the reality is that Judaism keep to the faith...no embellishments, no side stories or characters....when you think about it what has a jolly old man in a red suit and bunnies, chicks and eggs got to do with religion?  Although it's all a belief system, I guess I believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny   :o)  In my opinion I think Christianity invented some side stories to keep the religion part more interesting.....and it worked!

O.K.  I better step out of this, I'm not intending on starting a religious debate by myself.

So if you celebrate Passover today....I hope it's a good one....and me?
I'm happy celebrating a day off and eating my soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment