Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Easy Sewing Project: a pillow

Well I would like to say that this project is good for the child or beginner sewer but I think I'm just going to say it's better for the child.  I think the beginner sewer will be able to accomplish a bit more of a polished look.  


So my charge decided one day that she would like to sew a pillow!  We went to the fabric store and she chose all the fabric herself!


First I ironed some interfacing on to the back of the cotton star fabric so it would prevent it from fraying.
Next she drew and cut out a heart shape on paper and we used that as our template for our star heart.
I cut two circles of the purple flannel using a large plate as a template.


I tacked on the heart so it would keep in place and then I set her up with a large needle and embroidery thread and she hand stitched it with a running stitch around the edge onto the purple circle.

She wanted the outside of the pillow to be wavy!!!!!!  So we kept the seam on the outside.


She did a pretty good job of sewing this herself with the machine but from time to time needed some guidance so she didn't sew straight off the edge.  Round is not the easiest shape to sew but that's what she wanted.

We left a 4" gap and she stuffed it with poly-fil.


 I stitched up the gap on the machine because it was a little more challenging with the stuffing inside.



She is so proud of her accomplishment!



No comments:

Post a Comment