Monday, November 12, 2012

Easy sewing projects for children: a lavender sachet

There has to be many tutorials on the web for a lavender sachet so I am not claiming to be the first nor am I claiming to make it any other 'different' kind of way.  It's just one of those sewing projects that are quick and easy for children or the beginner sewer.

Last year I was lucky enough to go to the South of France for 10 days, the mecca of lavender fields.
I have been inspired to make lavender sachets since I bought my lavender at the market there. 

Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque 1148, just north of Gordes, France

The market place at Gordes where I bought the lavender

Gorgeous Gordes.  If you ever have a chance to go there, GO!  This is one of the most beautiful towns I've been to


OK I digress.....back to reality........


How to sew a lavender bag


Items you will need are :

Scrap fabric, lavender, scissors, teaspoon and ribbon.  And of course a sewing machine.


Cut 2 rectangles of the fabric, mine measured 7" x 3.5"


Fold over 2" and press. This will give it a neat finish on the inside at the top.


Pin right sides together and stitch from top to bottom of long side, across the bottom and back up to the top, re-enforcing stitching at beginning and end by backwards stitching a few stitches


Snip loose threads and cut corners close to thread



Turn right side out, press with iron (if desired) and carefully spoon in your lavender


Tie tight with ribbon and there you have a beautiful lavender sachet

The easiest project ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment