Sunday, November 25, 2012

Easy to sew Christmas gift: tissue holder


Anyone want to get busy with Christmas gift making???

This is another easy project for a beginner sewer or a child (with a bit of help from an adult) and uses up your old scraps of fabric.

A tissue holder.....just the thing for those seasonal sniffles.



This was one of the first things I sewed for Christmas gifts when I was a teenager.....its so easy!


What you will need

A scrap of fabric measuring 8 1/2" x 5 3/4"
pins
thread
sewing machine
iron...you know, the usual stuff

Please excuse the difference in colours of the photo's I was still mastering my shot taking at night (still am).

First iron your fabric flat then on the short sides iron up almost 1/2" and fold over and iron another 1/2" on top of that


This pic should make it easier to understand



Do the same at the other end so it looks like this


Flip it over and top stitch a straight line at both ends, securing the hem underneath


It should look like this



Fold in the two ends to meet each other, make sure they touch (or overlap slightly if you want a tighter opening)


Secure with pins to hold in place


Stitch a running stitch along the sides.  I back stitch always at start and finish and where the two sides meet



Trim with pinking shears or run a zig zag stitch to prevent fraying



Gently push the corners out.  I use a knitting needle


The finished product


I didn't like how the corners were baggy when I put the tissues in so I squared them off.  Here's how to do that.  Pinch the corner together so the stitching is in the middle


I marked a line from side to side that measured 3/4" at each corner.  I then sewed on the line and snipped to corner off to prevent bulk.


It gives it a bit more of a boxed, polished finish


TA DA the finished product!




No comments:

Post a Comment