Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A book review: Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport

OK well to start off that is definitely the longest title of any of my posts!!!













I bought this book yesterday for the 6 year old girl I take care of.  I read through a few different books on MLK Jr. in the bookstore and deduced this was the the best one for her.



I looked at 'I Have A Dream' by Kadir Nelson but I'm afraid that didn't hold my interest as well as this one did, so probably hopeless for a 6 year old.

This book has some amazing pictures, such detail and so much to look at....the illustrator Bryan Collier won a 2001 New York Times 'Best Illustrated Children's Book' award for it.


















The story is told in a simple way (but not too simple) of the life of MLK Jr.  It begins with Martin as a boy being influenced by his father and the church.  Later on Martin grew up and became a minister just like his father.  Realizing the injustice in the world between black and white people Martin fought with love to create a more equal world.













Doreen Rappaport manages to weave MLK Jr.'s words into the story in such a captivating way. 




I think this book is a great way for our children of today to understand the journey that has preceded them.

The book I bought was paperback and just $7.99 so it won't break the bank either!





No comments:

Post a Comment