Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Appliqued Bib and Card Gift Set



After I had recovered from my celebrations of last night I thought I might like to make a bib for Valentines day.  I have plenty of heart fabric but wanted to do something a little different so I thought I would try my hand at appliqueing a heart of fabric onto a bib.

I chose the grey polka dot fabric and a mustard coloured zebra print fabric.....I think they work really well together and give it a modern feel.

I ironed a very light fusible interfacing to the back of the zebra fabric and the area of the polka dot fabric where the heart was to be.  It's important to place interfacing on the area where the shape is to be otherwise when you sew your heart in place it will gather the grey fabric and pucker the edges.

I sewed the heart on with a zig zag stitch and loosened the tension on my machine.  To secure that the heart doesn't unravel instead of cutting the loose ends of the thread I hand stitched them into the bib with a needle making it quite secure.



I then cut out the bib shape and sewed the bib as usual.
Need instructions on making a bib.....check this post out
http://textiletrolley.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-make-babys-bib-stylish-enough.html

For the card I used some of the spare fabric and cut out heart shapes, ran a blank card through the printer and printed the wording 'Happy Valentine's Day' and then glued the hearts on.

Very simple, very effective....it's for sale on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/119244296/valentine-baby-bib-and-valentine-card

Here are some others that I made.


No comments:

Post a Comment