Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The dangers of frozen lakes

It's not often I write on a Tuesday.....I aim to write Monday, Wednesday and Friday....so this is an extra post tucked in.  Sometimes events happen in life that you just need to write about, well at least I do and this morning it's a very sad reason that has caused me to write about the dangers of frozen bodies of water. 

Last night, in my township,  5 people were presumed missing, 2 adults and 3 children after spending time on a local frozen lake.  The story is still not exactly clear as I write this but has come down to this.....2 teens still missing and rescue teams searching the lake as of 6.30pm last night.

My only reason to report this to you is in hopes that maybe when your children get home from school today (however old they are) you take a minute to talk to them about the dangers of frozen bodies of water. 

I for one am still scared to go on a frozen lake....no matter how safe it is claimed to be, no matter how many people are on it.  I gratefully hold my parents and the movie Damien: Omen II responsible.  First, my parents always talked to me about how dangerous frozen bodies of water are and how I might fall through the ice and drift and not be able to get back out through the hole I fell in and I would be trapped under the ice and I would drown.  HORRIBLY DRASTIC but my God it worked......I would rather be scared than dead!  Coupled with the visual memory of the movie where an ice hockey player falls through the ice and drowns it has definitely kept me off frozen lakes and other frozen bodies of water.

But that's my experience.  I'm not saying scare your kids to death and make them watch horror movies....but PLEASE talk to them about the dangers of frozen bodies of water TODAY.  Make sure they understand WHY they need to stay off the ice, it's no good just saying "it's dangerous" I believe you need something that will stick in their head and make them remember.  As horrible as it is you need to let them know what could happen....this is no time for your 'namby pamby wrap them in cotton wool' approach people, this little chat could save a life.

I hope that this is all a mistake and they find runaway teens but after hearing accounts of people claiming they could see cell phone lights under the ice and hear cries of help I surely fear the worst.  My heart goes out to all that knew these two especially their families and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment